Rajesh Dadu showed that all that you need to make a business successful is not degrees from business school, but just common sense to listen to what the customer wants and deliver it better than the expected.
Some people harbor doubts about the scale-up prospects in traditional business. However, entrepreneurs like Rajesh Dadu have proved them wrong, with their successful business models, which could teach a lesson or two to investment gurus.
I spent my initiative sweet-making years in Bengaluru. After a considerable amount of time, I moved to Hyderabad and set up an 800 square feet shop at Himayatnagar in 1993, with the capital of Rs 30,000 and the blessings and expertise of my mother,” said Rajesh Dadu, the founder of Dadu’s Mithai Vatika.
The success, however, wasn’t without hardships. "During the initial days, I could afford only two employees. I used to start my work at 4 am every day, some customers used to ask for hot samosa in the morning as early as 7 am. Since it was difficult to travel to and from my house in Malakpet, I used to sleep on the pavement outside my shop".
In the lighter vein, he revealed that some philanthropists, who donate blankets to the poor during winters, have given such blankets to him twice.
According to him, the secret for the success in his business is meeting customer’s expectations and timelines. "A marriage cannot be postponed or a festival will not celebrated on another day; the customer’s timelines are the only timelines which need to be met".
After a decade in 2003,Rajesh Dadu has started an outlet at Secunderabad. The third store was opened again a decade later at Jubilee Hills in 2013 and Fourth stores was Started at Banjara Hills in June 2015.
While most traditional sweet businesses had the ability to only produce only about 40 varieties at any point of time and did not innovate much, Rajesh Dadu constantly focused on the customers’ changing demand and conjured over 200 varieties to offer a new taste to the customers. "This helped increasing our footfall at all our outlets. Variety did the trick for us. We are constantly innovating and listening to our customers and they constantly taught us," he explained.
In the first decade of the business, they were constantly ploughing back profits in modernisation and innovation. I had set up their main kitchen at Uppal, which was planned to cater to at least five outlets. However, higher demand forced them to start work on yet another kitchen in the city.
From a small team of just two chefs in 1993, Dadu’s has 400 employees now, and supplies sweets to who's who of the Indian industry.
Dadu’s evolution continues. The chain has adapted itself to the changing times by joining the online bandwagon. "Today we are actively promoting on-line sales using Facebook and Twitter, and offer gift coupons to encourage purchase," he said.
What lies in store for the future? Pat came the reply: Exports plans and the opening of ten outlets are in the pipeline. When asked about the variety, Rajesh Dadu’s quip was that they travel to all parts of the country and the world and on these trips check out the stuff they can replicate or better here: Localising global flavours yet keeping it traditional is the way to go.
DADU MITHAI VATIKA is a name synonymous with festivals, weddings, birth announcements, parties and any occasion which calls for a celebration, a name which symbolizes 'Happiness'. As the festive season begins, so does Rajesh Dadu’s endeavor to once again bring to you an array of sweets and savories both traditional and innovative new ones, specially designed and customized to your taste, all this with an assurance of the most premium quality delivered within a notice of just 24 hrs.
Why should you choose Dadus for this festive season?
- EXPERIENCE- It has been in this business for the last 23 years, a family concern, everybody puts their heart and soul into delivering trust in the form of Sweets to their end customer and follow all guidelines of the FSSAI
- HYGEINE- All raw materials are lab tested right after procurement, samples of dry fruits grams etc are first taken from vendors, tested for quality before purchase. Periodic pest controls are carried out to keep all premises rodent free.
- TRAINED STAFF- Dadus puts all its staff through an extensive training programme, personally supervised by the family members which requires the staff to experience every department.
- SPECIAL PACKAGING- All sweets during the festive season are packed in special food grade boxes to increase the shelf life. Besides quality assurance, DADUS also gives you a huge variety of very attractive and colorful gift packaging options to choose from, designer hampers, baskets, trays, fancy boxes with personalized messages and many more.
- CONFECTIONERY- Dadus has gone beyond the traditional Indian Sweets and made a very successful foray into confectionery too. Now equally famous for its eggless cakes and chocolates, Dadus also offers you irresistible gifting ideas beyond the conventional.
With a centralized kitchen spanning 50, 000 sft, 4 flagship stores and a staff strength of 400 employees, Dadus boasts of an infrastructure and expertise second to none other in the city. Dadus boasts of an impressive and enviable client list of corporates and business houses and has also been appreciated by none other than The President Of India. Dadu’s believes in a no compromise attitude when it comes to Taste, Health, Quality, Hygiene and true Value for money.